Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Baby, it's cold-inside?

Living in Virginia, our winters can vary.  This year, winter is off to a pretty cold start.  There have been years when it was close to eighty degrees in early December.  Not this winter!  So I have decided to go around the house, looking for places where insulation could be better.  Starting with the front door.  This is one place where you can loose a great deal of heat that you want to keep in your house.  You pay good money for that heat!  It was as simple as putting my hand at the bottom and around the edges of the door.  Yikes!  It was like an Arctic blast!

Solution?  Off to Lowes to look for a good insulating fix.  It was not hard to find.  I found a door bottom with vinyl fins that attaches with screws to the bottom of the door.  It is also trim to fit, so the installation was fairly easy-not easy on my knees from kneeling on the floor, but worth it! I like to keep all of my screws in a small bowl so that they don't roll away from me-or my cat Jack doesn't steal them(he is quite the little thief!).  I did have to remove the kick plate from the front of the door as it was keeping the insulator from fitting properly.  Even something that thin(approximately 1/16 of an inch)can mess up the correct fit.  The door bottom was a bit snug, so I would recommend using a rubber mallet to make it a little bit easier to slide under the door.  It comes with screws, so with those attached, it is not going anywhere and it keeps my warm air exactly where it needs to be-inside!
Stay warm my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment