Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

That Time of Year

No, I don't mean Christmas.  It is the first weekend in November.  In Virginia, that means one very important thing.  It is time for the Urbanna Oyster Festival.  The festival of all festivals in my opinion.  It is said that close to 200,000 people will attend the festival over the course of two glorious days.  And why not?  It is in a beautiful place with fantastic seafood.  What more does a person need?

When people ask where we are going and I mention oysters, they scrunch up their faces and usually reply, "I really don't like oysters."  More for me!  Although, they have great BBQ, huge turkey legs, soups, crab, and other things that will satisfy those non-oyster eaters.  I go for the oysters.  Raw, on the half-shell with a drop of Tobassco.  Yum.

What is fun is you always run into someone you know.  I have not been to Urbanna and not run into someone that we know, even if it has been since the previous oyster festival that we have seen each other.  Last year, boats from Jamestown were sailed into the marina off the Rappahanock River, with re-enacters on board to answer questions.  There are artists, live music, parades at the end of the day, and endless seafood.  Heavenly.

I love that our kids now love to go.  They never moan and groan about walking around all day-they enjoy the food and the people as much as we do.  Smart kids!

So, the merriment will begin tomorrow morning-and you can be for certain that is where we will be.  Maybe I will run into you there!  If not, please try the oysters.http://www.urbannaoysterfestival.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment