Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Confused and Grateful

These are words that have me  in a nutshell lately.  Quite a contrast of feeling, but completely true.  Confusion at how to deal with the cancer that my mother has been diagnosed with and grateful to have been given a job that keeps me busy enough during the day that I don't think about that confusion.  Life is strange that way.

She is undergoing chemotherapy treatments and so far so good.  We are only two treatments in.  I have asked for information regarding life expectancy and all of those things that people want to know who do not deal with uncertainty well.  I have come to realize that there is no certainty in life.  There are no hard, definitive answers.  The only thing I can do is be positive and encouraging.  So that is what I do.

I had someone say some very hurtful things to me about cancer.  That it is a blessing.  That is total crap.  They have obviously never dealt with it before.  That at least they were not hit by a bus-you get to say goodbye.  Again, more crap.  That is all I will say about that.

I am grateful for the job I have.  I learned of it a mere two weeks after my mother's diagnosis.  It is a blessing to be busy and when thoughts creep into my head, I make sure they are positive ones.  Negatives will only bog me down.  I am positive I love my mother and that the doctors are doing everything they can to help her beat her cancer.  I can only do the same.

I am grateful I have wonderful family and friends that I can talk to about my confused and grateful emotions.  I am grateful to all of them.  There is no confusion there.  There will be days when I know how to deal with things outwardly, but inwardly is another thing.  Sometimes, I really suck at it.  But I am far from perfect.  I am doing the best I can and I take things one day at a time.  With a confused and grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment