Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fall-A word with many meanings

Fall.  I just looked this up in the dictionary-I stopped counting at twenty-four different meanings.  I will use just a few here today.

Fall-autumn.  The leaves have begun to change.  They are turning their beautiful colors of reds, golds, oranges, and yellows.  They make all my windows look like stained glass.  It is a beautiful time of year.  I do enjoy the cool weather, the smells of cinnamon, pumpkin pie, and "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown"-one of my favorite cartoons of all time.  I love to see Snoopy creeping through the bombed out towns after the Red Baron has shot his WWI Flying Ace airplane down.  Then dancing to Schroeder's piano playing-and then howling with shame.  Too funny.

http://youtu.be/B67w23x2cPM

When I look out the windows of stained glass leaves and hear the wind blowing, I think of another definition of Fall-to tumble down.  This comes to mind as I watch the leaves tumble through the air to the ground.  I am quickly reminded that those leaves will have to be raked and blown out of my driveway, off my grass, out of my plant beds, and not just once, but several times.  Some days I am up for the challenge-the cool temperatures and just being outside rev me up.  Other days, it becomes another chore that one of us that lives in this house has to tackle-when we have time.  This is when another definition of fall comes to mind.

Fall-to fail to keep up the pace;  to lag behind.  Yep-happens all the time, no matter the season.  Things seem to pile up that need to get done.  Whether it be getting up the billion leaves that will fall(there it is again) in my yard, the laundry, cleaning out the attic(a perfect Fall activity since it is not so hot), emails, you name it.  Sometimes I feel like a pro at falling behind-Elizabeth Burke, Ph(all behind) Doctorate.  Somehow I have the comforting feeling that I am not the only one with this degree!

So, with all of the definitions of "Fall", I think today I will enjoy the first one mentioned-Fall: Autumn.  It is much more appealing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment