Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

This song's for you...

I have to gush for a minute.  I will start by saying how much I love music.  I could do without the T.V., computer, and a few other things, but music is one thing it would be hard for me to live without.  Having said that, I will gush a little more about one of my favorite musicians-Elton John.  Just watched an interview with him that was not at all surprising, but I loved watching it.

I remember singing his songs since, well since I can really remember anything.  Songs seem to trigger some of my earliest memories, and I remember singing "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" when I was a little shrimpy kid.  One summer, he played a concert in Central Park that was replayed over and over again.  And I watched it over and over again.  I loved all the costumes he wore then-the Donald Duck costume stands out in my mind, and seeing the thousands of people who had a blast watching him perform.  I know I loved it!

His music is timeless and as I have gotten older, I love his honesty and  his openness and his music even more.  I look forward to reading his book.

He is one of the musicians that my kids sing along to-usually subconsciously, just because he is one of those that they have grown up listening to by way of their mother.  I will sing the songs to them-much to their great embarrassment with gusto.  They may not realize it yet, but I mean every word-"How wonderful life is, when you're in the world"....

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Elton is one of my favorites! I saw him live many years ago from the 5th row and his show was fantastic! He has a gift to play the piano, incredible. One of my favorite songs, a bit unknown, is Funeral for a Friend. It goes from slow to rock...are you familiar with it....keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete