Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's in the stacks....

For those book lovers out there, you know that librarians and book sellers refer to shelves of books as "stacks".  I have my own stacks in my house, as I am sure many of you do.  It is comforting and makes me happy.  I have spent many years adding to my collection.  Some books find a place deep in my heart and stay, some are donated to my local library, and others I take to the local used book store.  I love my books.  They are like friends, old and new ready to be discovered or reunited with.

I will admit that some of the books take me longer to read than others.  Some I have had literally for years before I open their covers to read them.  Some books, I read the first paragraph or chapter and put down, never to open again.  I used to make myself feel guilty about that-"finish what you start!" my brain would say to me.  As I have gotten older and I like to think a little bit wiser, I feel like it is a waste of time to read something that I do not enjoy.  There is so much out there too be enjoyed!  So, I put the unfinished book down and walk away-no guilt to speak of.  There are very few books that I read more than once, but I have a few that have made the cut.

I am lucky that my kids love to read too.  I loved reading to them when they were little and am more than pleased that they continue on with reading as they get older.  Books are the greatest escape-taking you out of your life and throwing you into someone else's for a while.  Teaching you things, making you laugh, making you cry.  Making you sit on edge while you impatiently wait for a follow-up book to be released.  I love it when the book is so good you are kind of let down when it ends-so you slow your reading to enjoy it a bit longer. 

I got my husband an e-reader for Christmas.  I have very mixed feelings on this one.  They are great for those technophiles out there, but I like having the book in my hand.  I like going into a bookstore or library and looking.  Sometimes I know exactly the book I want.  Other times, I have no idea what I am in the mood for until it jumps out at me-it is the thrill of the hunt, so to speak.

Yes, I may sound nerdy, but I don't care.  Reading keeps your mind fresh, expands your vocabulary, and adds joy to your life.  If that is the definition of nerdy, then I crown myself Queen of the nerds.  You can find me in the stacks...

No comments:

Post a Comment