Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lights out...

The power went out today.  I was at work and bam!  Out it went!  I do love the quiet a power outage brings, but it is not good for business.  Which made me wonder-what would happen if all of a sudden we were without power-indefinitely?  People rarely use "real" money to pay for anything-would we barter for things?  It is a pretty scary thought-so I will change the subject to something a little less frightening.  Loosing power and having quiet at home.  This happened a few months back....

It was a weekday, I had gone to run and errand and when I came home, the cul-de-sac looked fairly dark.  It was dusk and so not quiet dark out yet.  I opened the front door and yes, the power was out.  I grabbed my book, lit a few candles, sat at the kitchen table and started to read.  It was nice when my three kiddos joined me.  The outage lasted for around a half an hour and it was lovely.  I must say I was disappointed when the power came back on.  I loved the time though because I could not turn on the T.V., or boot up my computer, or listen to my iPod.  All I could do was sit in the quiet and read.  I could not do laundry, I could not cook, I could not feel guilty about not doing any of these things.  I think I need more time like this.  And I am sure that you do too.

We should not feel guilty about having down time where we sit and relax and do something we love or nothing at all.  It is sad that it takes a power outage to realize this.  Maybe we need more of them.  Although, I am really not up for bartering-yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment