Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Ghost of Christmas Past...

The other night, I stumbled upon Mickey's Christmas Carol-a classic.  Mickey Mouse as Bob Cratchett, Scrooge McDuck as Ebenezer Scrooge and Jiminy Cricket as the Ghost of  Christmas Past.  He holds a special place in my heart.  I too played the Ghost of Christmas Past in my seventh grade play.  It was "A Christmas Carol" of course.  I was twelve years old and thought it was the greatest thing in the world.  The auditioning, the practicing, the evening performance for all of our family members and friends, and then performing it for the entire school.  So. Much. Fun.

I had not thought about that time for quite a while.  I remembered trying out for two parts-the ghosts past and yet to come.  I remember being tremendously excited about landing a part-I was sure it would go to someone else.  But, it didn't, it went to me.  I remember wearing a long, white dress-it was probably a night gown of some sort, but was flow-y and fit the part.  I remember glitter in my hair along with a sprig of holy-the dark green of the leaves and the red of the berries.  I remember the excitement of the class as we took the stage for the play we had worked so hard on for so long.

It is almost thirty years later-I have not seen many of the people I was in that play with in a long time.  Everyone has their own lives and have gone in different directions.  One friend has passed away and I remember her warm smile and days in elementary school when we dressed exactly alike.  I wonder if when my former classmates watch "A Christmas Carol"-any version-they have fond memories of the time when we performed the play together.  Ghosts are not always bad things-they can bring back good memories of the past in the present and for future Christmases to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment